Contemplative

I am in a contemplative mood at the moment. Maybe it's a spring time feeling. The weather is beautiful and everything seems clean and new and fresh again. Maybe it's the light at this time of year. I feel myself wandering through all this big-ness and thinking about my life and its direction. -Or maybe that should be possible directions.


I have spoken before about the feeling of always being presented with two doors, typically one representing safety and the other, the unknown. If I was to analyse my life the way I would a text, I would say that mine was a story told through recurring binaries, dualities where the lead character is constantly choosing between a life of security and possibility. In terms of my career path especially, I often feel pulled in all directions, as I long long long for the creative rush of filmmaking but also feel passionate about helping make peoples' lives better through education. The film door leads to a jungle where the only path is the one you create as you hack through the overgrowth. In teaching the landscape is more visible.

I think that I am having such a great year this year as I'm starting to realise that I can choose to follow both paths. I have gotten to work on, and been head-hunted for, feature films. I have also just agreed to do some work on a documentary. On the teaching front, I have gotten to help lots of students with their media projects at one school and I'm getting to constantly direct film shoots, take photos and do editing at the other. The paths slowly, slowly, slowly seem to be converging.

And it makes me happy.

Mood: 50% dreamer, 50% cynic

Comments

Popular Posts