Shapes Atomicus!

Me: mid jump, mask fallen. In this daydream pic, I have included the image which inspired this adventure in jumpology: Dali and Halsman's 'Dali Atomicus'.

I was originally drawn to jump photography because I was just blown away by the amazing energy and weightlessness in images like Halsman's or Darzacq's Hyper. As I have said in a previous post, Halsman once remarked "when you ask a person to jump, his attention is mostly directed toward the act of jumping and the mask falls so that the real person appears." This idea endeared me to the jump concept even more and over the weekend I recruited some of my favourite people to help me in this experiment, which took place in my backyard. The pics that I think capture the 'truth' of each subject are in black and white.




















Jock


Liz concrete dive














Tess jump!


Tess!


Nomes float


Nomes!

This was such a fun experiment and I'm so grateful to those who took part. I love the energy in these shots and all these happy faces. I think next time I'm going to shoot indoors or in light that is less dappled, so the images have a cleaner, crisper look. You need a lot of light for jump photography. I'm so impressed with the shapes that were pulled and the happy faces that emerged and I think that's what's most important in these shots.

Mood: looking forward to a hot shower for sore muscles and then jumping into cool white sheets

Comments

John said…
Very unique blog.
Fantastic pictures. Wow...

I like your blog.

Please visit:
http://futuretainment.blogspot.com

Keep blogging.
Have a great time.

Popular Posts