Art with Dad

Dad's sculpture in progress
My Dad's most recent sculpture in progress

Dad at his easel in our courtyard
My Dad at his easel in our courtyard



Matt and I went to breakfast at my parents' house over the weekend and we were lucky enough to check out a sculpture that my Dad has been working on. The material he's using is aerated concrete. It's amazing stuff, I love the texture of it. When you run your hand over its surface it feels smooth and rough at the same time. I have tried to capture this in the close-up photo above.


My Dad is the best: warm, incredibly smart, well read, funny, social, artistic and eccentric! A while ago, Matt and I had a painting afternoon and invited my brother and Dad over to share in the fun and creativity. My Dad came fully prepared with a car packed to the brim with art supplies old and new. After I served up coffee, the four of us spent about half an hour just unloading Dad's series of different sized boxes and bags which served as both dedicated and repurposed storage for art supplies. When he opened each one up, I loved how everything in the boxes had its place and was packed so purposefully and carefully.  


It was a wonderful day. The rain fell softly as we drank red wine, listened to Angus Julia Stone and sketched and painted our way through the afternoon. 


I'm looking forward to more days like this one in 2012! 

Mood: healthy salad, green tea with mint and sunshine

Comments

Popular Posts