Last Friday's Flood

ballet shoe flooded room

My room flooded last week after a roof tile fell into the gutter and the water overflowed into a section of the ceiling. (You can see where the water came through in the picture.) It was horrendous at first but quickly became hilarious (once I realised none of my equipment was wrecked - phew!). The silver lining was finding my lost ballet shoes when I was cleaning up the next day. I taught ballet in them for three years while I was at uni back in Perth. They are a bit battered but I always smile when I put them on.


My room exploded in the wake of the flood. I took this picture of my foot and the carpet dryer we hired to dry my room out, while I was procrastinating rather than cleaning up.



In a funny bookend to the flood experience, I took this quick snap of the waterwall at the NGV last Monday.

The NGV: my beloved. Since I moved to Melbs, I have gone there whenever I have been in need of a bit of inspiration or a pick me up, or just to be reminded that there is a whole world of ideas and experiences out there. When I was there on Monday, I felt like Alice in Wonderland in my frolicking dress*, wandering around the massive, cool, airy, labyrinth-like gallery, going up its winding ramps, my hands free and light at my side.

* Any light summer dress that you feel as though you could frolic around a park in or go for a dip in the ocean in if the mood was to take you. (My best friend Jess and I used to do this all the time as teens growing up surrounded by beaches in WA.)

Mood: Confetti album by Little Birdy, barbecue in the backyard, blue fairy lights in the big tree and Nomes and Tess reading magazines either side of me

Comments

Popular Posts