Serendipitous: Semi-Permanent and Day 19

semi permanent auditorium

Yesterday, I went to the Semi-Permanent design, photography and film conference. It was amazing. Two of my favourite photographers, the LA-based husband and wife team of Jeremy and Claire Weiss from Day 19 Photography, were speaking. (Links: their site, their blog) Their lecture was absolutely awesome. In a humorous, no-bullshit way they discussed their story, their approach and how much they love photographing friends and family best in the world. I really liked how they advocated the "don't follow 'the plan', just do it your way" approach. They also said that most of their best work has been achieved through just hanging out with friends and capturing spontaneous moments. I love this, because one of the reasons I am passionate about photography is because I find people so endlessly fascinating and time so fleeting. Photography allows you to capture a person in a moment that would otherwise slip away quietly.

For Claire and Jeremy's take on their lecture, see the post on their blog here. (I can see myself in the picture Claire took of the audience; I'm one of the dots in the back left of the auditorium.) I congratulated Claire after the show and she was really friendly. So awesome when good people are in possession of great talent.


Semi Permanent program 09 - Day 19 cover

Above is one of Day 19's photos on the cover of the Semi-Permanent program.




Self portrait semi permanent

Anyhoo, after a morning of wonderful lectures and meeting my photographic heroes, by the lunch break, I was shaking with inspiration and had to take a photo of something. I took this random self portrait out the back of the Exhibition Centre, in the reflection of its massive windows.

Mood: warm sunlight, gentle day stretching out

Comments

Popular Posts