Monday Night Comedy at the Local - Bringing the Funny


Josh Earl - Comedy at the Local

I'm always a little shy about photographing performers as I don't want to distract them with the sound of my shutter, but I realised last night that most of them are so professional and well-practised that it doesn't bother them, in fact they welcome it.
Not ready to surrender our weekend without a fight, my housemate Chris and I went a-wandering down to the Local's Monday comedy night. We had no idea who was performing but knew we needed to get the week off to some kind of start.

Anyhoo, we found ourselves a whiskey and dry and a seat in the back corner and were instantly blown away by the evening's MC Josh Earl (pictured - I think he's wearing a New Kids on the Block t-shirt?) who was armed and dangerous with his self-made picture book and acoustic guitar. He rampaged through the night with songs and tales of novelty cakes, Roman numerals, life lessons and the day he learned that he was not punk rock. -When he sang the song that accompanied this sentiment, I realised that this was the comedian I had been laughing along to when he was on Triple J recently. Hilarious!

We only managed to stay for the first act unfortunately as we were meeting a friend at 10 (next time we will definitely stay for the full show) but highlights from the first half included Josh Thomas and Luke Ryan - the latter of whom I realised I had met through mutual friends way back at UWA.

The standard of the comedians was absolutely fantastic - that's Melbs for you. Last night's instances of skipping in the rain, laughter and mischief all conspired to produce an awesome start to the week.

Mood: wandering down the street for coffee and wondering what the next adventure will be...

Comments

Popular Posts