6 things from last Saturday that make me say YAY!

Some photographs I took on the day (except the photo of the tea stand which is taken from the Hotel Windsor website )
  • Seeing a friend smile
  • Having high tea at the Hotel Windsor. We were given a glass of rosé upon arrival and soon after, presented with a beautiful three-tiered stand filled with scrumptious scones with jam and cream, savoury pastries and ribbon sandwiches. (The description I just gave of the scones makes me think nostalgically of Enid Blyton's The Twins at St. Clare's.) We drank lovely coffee and visited the vast dessert buffet (complete with chocolate foundue fountain - we passed one in the ballroom which was comprised of six tiers and stood at least a metre high!) We helped ourselves to delicious panacotta, crepes with chocolate sauce, chocolate cake and creme brulee which was served in a dainty little cup, as pictured in the grid above.
  • Visiting one of my favourite places in Melbourne (after the NGV): Michael's Cameras on Elizabeth Street. I love drifting through the museum/gallery upstairs. The whole place has a great vibe
  • Going into an art shop/gallery called Outre on Elizabeth street that I have wandered past so many times without going in. It was even better inside than I thought it would be.
  • Being introduced to a truly serendipitous underground (I mean that in the literal as well as the figurative sense) record shop. The grid above shows photos of the paintings on the wall which I took standing on the stairs leading down to the main shop.
  • Discovering a Babushka Shop. See the photo in the grid's bottom left of a small section of their riotously colourful window display. You know you're in a city with a decent population when such a niche business can find enough custom to thrive!
I love days where you can just waft through a place without having any particular errands to run or things to achieve; you can just take it all in. Here is a partial defintion of the word 'waft' which I plucked from askoxford.com that I think captures the mood of these days perfectly:

waft
verb: pass easily or gently through the air.

Mood: Flock of Seagulls and lists of books to read

Comments

Popular Posts