All the sweetness and the joy


On Friday night, I jumped on a tram to the city to meet friends, ready to embark on a night of adventure.

The adventure started early when I met David. David rolled up to me on the tram and started to chat. He had a big, loud laugh and a knack for telling stories. He told me how he moved from Darwin four months ago, how much he loves his kids and grandkids and how he was still figuring out how to use his phone. He told me how he lost his leg in Vietnam and that the gases messed up his brain. He showed me the tattoos dedicated to his wife on his arms. She passed away from breast cancer almost ten years ago. He said she was, and still is, the love of his life and he didn't understand why his kids were encouraging him to meet someone. "I'm still in love with my wife. She was the one, why would I want to be with anyone else? I rooted like a rabbit in my twenties, I don't want that now. " He guffawed about how he had tried to buy a kite for five bucks but the guy sold him a pirate flag instead, which he had stuck in the handle of his wheelchair, but was eager to give away.


He told me he had a daughter called Elizabeth and I said I had a brother called David. As I was approaching my tram stop, I said that it had been lovely meeting him. He said that I shouldn't say that as meeting is just a moment and it is better to think of a conversation like ours as making a memory. I said I wouldn't forget and that's why I had taken a photo of him. As I got out of the tram, he kissed my hand and said that I was one of the special ones. I put David up here because I think he is special too.


Mood: The Rapture and choc chip cookies

Comments

Popular Posts