Inspiration boards - spaces for dreaming

Inspiration Board

I love inspiration boards. While I am a fan of all things digital, sometimes there's nothing like using your hands to create a big, lovely mess of pictures you like or things that inspire you. Inspiration boards can be used in so many ways whether it's to depict a vision for a project, help undo a creative block or just inspire you to achieve a goal.

Above is our current inspiration board! It's a multipurpose one! On the right hand side are images to help encourage my boyfriend Matt and I to achieve our goal of buying a place together, while the images on the left side relate to a project we are working on.


We keep it propped above our camera shelf:

half empty camera shelf
The scary thing about this picture is that this is only half of our camera bodies and lenses. Eeeshk! ;)

I'm not ready to disassemble this inspiration board as everything on it is still in use! However, I have been feeling the need for another blank one to fill! It's such a crazy busy time of year that it's so easy for the mind to get crammed with logistics, planning and DOING. I need to do some daydreaming and reflection that nurtures the creative side - the part of your brain that comes up with ideas out of the blue, that turns everyday moments into new ideas for projects. So on Saturday morning I decided to buy a new board to slowly fill over the next few weeks with the aim of nurturing new ideas.

I just bought a simple, cheapie cork board for $12 and then came home and painted the frame in the late afternoon. Lee, Matt's cousin who is currently our lovely housemate, had spent the afternoon working on his camera rig and decided to test it out while I was painting. The result is the following video, which I love and definitely conveys the afternoon. We picked the song 'Empty' by Ray LaMontagne to go with the footage, which I love.



Painting from Lee Lee on Vimeo.

I also love that my beautiful Matt does a cameo in his robe! You can see that he was testing out a time-lapse function on a little Pentax Q. Speaking of cameras, while the paint was drying on my cork board, Matt took these:


still waiting for paint to dry


waiting for paint to dry



Here's my lovely blank inspiration board:



I am excited to start filling it up! I like that I have no idea what I'm going to put on it -who knows what treasures I'll collect?

Thanks and I encourage anyone who feels like they need to reignite their creative spark to start an inspiration board!


Mood: jasmine tea and the American series of the Office

Comments

Popular Posts