Seachange for a Day

A weekend or so ago, I went on a day trip to Barwon Heads to have a swim and look around with some friends. It was a beautiful day. When I was younger I absolutely loved the TV show Seachange, which was filmed in and around the town. It's such a cliché, but I got a thrill strolling around a place that looked and felt like Pearl Bay.



A picture I took through the car window on the way down.
I turned up the saturation in Photoshop




Tea towels in a gift shop.


A little church. It just looks so neat, quaint and well looked after. I wonder if Seachange ever filmed anything here?
NB: Is it bad if you have a day out in the country to get away from technology and then end up deriving joy by imposing your televisual experiences directly onto your real life ones?


At the cafe where we had a massive, delicious lunch.



Flower burst on the main street of Barwon Heads





A car park in Queenscliffe on the way home. I'm not sure how well it shows up when the image is this size on the blog, but I love that the sign says ASSEMBLY AREA and that there was a van parked next to it which has a big PEACE sticker on its back window.




Street sign in Queenscliffe.





This is a pretty road that runs off the main street. There's an ice cream store on the corner and you can just imagine strolling down that path on a hot day without a care in the world.





This man sat contentedly reading his book for a good half an hour while we ate ice creams on the other side of the road.





Bark. There were lots of big, old, beautiful knotted trees in Queenscliffe and Barwon Heads.




I loved this place. It's an old church that has been converted into a secondhand book store. It has big vaulted ceilings and walls covered in books.



The steeple of the book store (formerly the church)




I have a real soft spot for picket fences. I don't know why. They look so proud. I loved this one with its paint wearing away.




Out of the car window:

Back to ground level in the city.


I like the angles in this pic and the symmetry of the green light and the street light both being on.

I have seen this tag everywhere around Elwood and St Kilda


Tram lines across the sky

With all the destruction and devastation that has been caused by the bush fires over here in Victoria, I wanted to show some images from some places in the state that I visited recently. Barwon Heads and Queenscliffe remain untouched by the fires, but looking at these pictures now and seeing the character and beauty of these towns and their people, makes me think of all the places just like this that have been lost.

Mood: New Zealand

Comments

magda w: said…
aw these photos feel like the intro to seachange itself - the one that quickly flicks from country to city visions (or vice versa, rather!). i too loved the programme, and i would not say no to a trip to barwon heads sometime!

in other news: sad times for victoria :(

Popular Posts